View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 09:41 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  
gneiss
Never settle.

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Hi babyblue...sounds like you are a natural care taker...I'm curious if that's how you ended up in a relationship with an addict...just curioius because that is partly my story...but I got the joy of dealing with my own alcohol problems as well. Hope its ok to ask
Bam! LaFemme, I have had yet another revelation while reading one of your posts. (Where have you been all my life?)

My sister is disabled. I sorta had a caretaker role pushed onto me whether I wanted it or not (and I most definitely didn't). I went to great lengths to make sure I don't have a caretaker role now-- i.e. choosing careers carefully so I wouldn't be responsible for anyone as in a health or counseling field, not having kids, etc. And it came around and got me anyway: a relationship with an addict. And I didn't even realize that I didn't want the responsibility for someone else (it's clear to me now that I took responsibility for his entire life, but I didn't see it that way then), but I wanted the fun. And given a few other circumstances that made me a little more willing to drink too much and eventually try drugs... well, here I am.

Gawd. Figuring that out might have saved me a lot of trouble! LOL Oh well, I made some mistakes and did some bad things, and I tried to regret it because I thought I was supposed to, but I sure learned a lot about myself and other people and I wouldn't trade it at this point.