View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nodaybut2day

If he were to seek counseling I believe he can control this. He always works hard and is extremely ambitious when it comes to other areas in his life.

This isn't mean to demean him or you, but we're talking about an addiction here, not a new job or a exercise regiment. This is a chemical/psychological/emotional issue. Forgive me if I'm highly skeptical that anyone can just "control" the desire to binge drink til one passes out or has seizures.

Also, he didn't agree to go to counselling. You're supposing that you can somehow convince him to do this. This, to me, speaks of a need to control him. Stop right now...you simply cannot control, influence, coddle, beg, manipulate, or convince him of anything. You don't have that power.

I heartily support you in finding an Al-Anon meeting near you and attending a few meetings before you decide that it isn't for you.

FTR, I too tried to hang on desperately...I thought that the "passion" and "depth of feeling" I felt for him meant that he was THE ONE for me, and I let it blind me to everything. I did that for 5 years. 1 marriage and 1 baby later, and I am forever tied to an alcoholic/addict who is still deep in denial about his addiction AND his psychological disturbances.

I know that these words are just words on a screen that you may or may not read. I do hope however that you'll really think about whether or not you want the life I and countless others on SR have lived. It may have brought us together here, but it sure ain't pretty.