View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Thumper

Al-anon would probably be helpful, yes. Can't hurt and it is free

Your husband might have a point. You don't need to talk to anyone that is angry - much less four times in a row. You could create a boundary around angry phone calls. For example (and you don't have to use this specifically I'm just making it up)...

I am stressed and unhappy when I get phone calls full of anger. If mom calls me in anger, I will politely end the conversation by letting her know I'll talk to her tomorrow when she is less angry. Then don't pick up the phone and talk to her again until tomorrow. Repeat tomorrow if necessary. She'll be angry! and then even more angry! because if a little anger doesn't work, maybe a lot will, but eventually she'll stop calling you in anger.

Here is another idea and one I use....

I had to do some work to determine what my boundaries are within a few relationships and then if said person is crossing a boundary (with her anger, 'advice', addressing issues that aren't her business etc., lecturing -ugh) I will just not respond. I will refuse to engage in boundary crossing conversations. Utter silence until I either think of an excuse to hang up/walk way, tell her I am not talking about this (I need to do this more - I am trying hard to be more assertive), or she changes the topic. If I open my mouth I have a hard time not trying to reason or explain etc until we are very entangled in the conversation so the utter silence method is safer for me right now! I think she actually enjoys the entangled conversations but they are quite damaging for me so I can no longer go there.