View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 08:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Phoenixthebird
Rising from the Ashes

Nicam, yes, I have suffered and am currently suffering from major depression. My first diagnose of major depression began when my 23 year old daughter completed suicide on May 16, 1995. She suffered from schizophrenia. It took me ten years, therapy and two hospitalization for my grief and major depression before I was able to accept my daughter's death. I was prescribed anti-depressants and sleeping pills.

I suffered a life changing massive stroke in DEC 2009. From DEC 23rd until JAN 8th I suffered from vascular dementia, and almost died. Once vascular dementia develops, there are no drugs currently approved by the FDA to treat it. My doctors had no scientific explanation why I came out of the vascular dementia. When I came back into reality I was filled with so much rage inside of me for living with alcoholism for so long in my life.

For about the last three months I have been in individual therapy, and on anti-depressants and sleeping pills. I am working my codependent recovery program, and using SR for support. I feel that each day I'm regaining my physical and emotional strength.

Each individual has their own story of living with alcoholism. Each individual will have their own road to recovery.

The higher our expectations, the lower our serenity. Try to keep your boundaries high, your expectations low, and your heart open.

********************************:ghug3************ *****************

Willingness comes from the pain, the healing comes from the steps.

Step 1. Surrender
Step 2. Sanity
Step 3. Serenity

There is a difference between “relief” and “recovery”.

Steps 1-3 bring relief
Steps 4-9 bring recovery..
Steps 10-12 maintain it…

Steps 6 & 7:

Step 6 Be willing, Be ready and let God do the work

Step 7 Humbly ask (acknowledge who you are in relation to God)

Al-Anon is program that is meant to be worked with another and with God.