View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 02:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MissChievous

I'm hearing you, Sean. I'm where you are...sometimes I'm disappointed when I see my AH's car in the driveway when I get home from work, because I like being by myself and not dealing with "it" --- but at the same time I'm thankful cuz it means he's not at the bar.

My AH has actually been doing a little better lately; meaning, he isn't drinking AS MUCH and not getting blitzed every day, but I'm afraid to get my hopes up because I know (despite his disputing) that it's only a matter of time before he starts back down that slippery slope.

I'm new here, so I'm not one to give advice, but I know that everyone will tell you it's great that you're going to Al-Anon. I haven't been for awhile, as the last time I went everyone was so sad because a regular attendee had committed suicide the night before...it kind of threw me for a loop and I haven't been back since. But I've done lots of reading and through the years have learned how to detach, and I just don't deal with him or attempt a conversation when he's been drinking.

When he's sober it's so good that I'm not ready to give up yet...I've been married for 35 years and for the first 25 never had to deal with this, so it's really hard for me to throw in the towel, so to speak.

Just know that you aren't alone in your struggle, and as you know, the knowledge and perspectives of those on this site are invaluable.