View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
NoAlcoholToday

Originally Posted by KittyP View Post
I used to worry about it all the time but I looked into it a huge amount and I found that marriages that end when an addict gets sober, usually do so on the instigation of the non-addicted spouse. Seemingly it's very common for the non-addicted partner to have assumed that all marital problems will be solved once their partner is sober. But they commonly find that their problems had less to do with the alcohol/other drugs and more to do with other issues. Once the addiction was removed they realised that their problems were actually about more than that.

Of course it happens both ways, the addict can sober up and realise that the relationship is not working for them sober, but usually it's the other way around.
Thank you for this, Kitty. It is very encouraging.

breakingglass, you may not have seen a thread I put on here a couple of weeks ago asking whether my wife would be even madder at me because I am quitting than she was before I quit.
naive and Learn2Live (amongst others) gave me some fabulous advice: get yourself healthy first and then take care of those worries - dont get ahead of yourself.

Also I think it is very important to try and move forward together in recovery rather than try to go back to the way things used to be in the past.

PS I am really feeling for you - I know it must be a huge disappointment after he managed to do 5 days