View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
coyote21
Awakening

Originally Posted by breakingglass View Post
about alanon, i wrote this earlier...

about the alanon thing and religion.... i wanted to go to alanon but not if its like that.... i don't attend church, i don't relate much to folks that do....especially the reborn again christains (no offense). so if they start talking god this and god that i fear i will walk out and not look back. that is why AA didn't work for my husband. we are not without faith, we are just strongly opposed to organized religion and anyone who uses it as a crutch to solve their problems. god didn't put me in this position, i did. i want to be able to help myself through this with maybe the help of others who have been there and know.... and can freely and openly talk about it. now i feel like i am back to square one.

i really wish i could find a group that is not based on any religions.... it just won't work for me, and that goes for the hand holding and hugging. i have a friend like that who is so sappy and always trying to hug and touch and she alone is enough to annoy the pants off of me!! i can't imagine doing that with strangers. i sound like a cold person don't i? but i'm not....

certainly i didn't mean any offense to anyone.... its just how i feel. maybe some day that may change but right now the only escape from this is to leave and i dont think i'm ready for that either.... i feel so stuck.....

I spent pretty much my whole life, 54 years any way, not believing in a god, and being disgusted with organized religion much like you.

Man, when I'd finally been brought to my knees and had hurt enough, I guess I got that "fox hole religion" they talk about guys in combat getting. What did it for me was when CPS took my precious 5yo daughter away for 5 months. ENOUGH ALREADY! I started to pray, before I believed BTW, and things began to change, miracle after miracle. My only explanation for some of the things that happened is divine intervention. I'm blessed.

I couldn't deny the presence of something greater than myself taking care of me and lifting my burdens. What a comfort it's been for me these last few years. Lots of struggles since then, life certainly didn't magically get "peachy" or anything, but I have peace and serenity.

I believe once a person experiences serenity, they are hooked. I know I am, I will NEVER give it up for anyone again.

I believe it's a common misconception that Alanon is God centered, our group certainly is not. We all have our own concepts of our higher powers, some chose God, I chose Nature/The Universe, some others chose the collective wisdom of the group.

It's a shame to me when someone decides to make their life/journey harder because of a misconception, without ever even being open to at least checking out a different way. That's totally up to you.

None of us can cross BACK over that bridge and carry others across against their will, all I can do is try to cheer you on from the other side.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote