Old 11-22-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  
jamdls

I had a good weekend until I went to cook some rice for my dog last night (she doesn't eat dog food just chicken and rice and veg due to an allergy prob). I had just bought the rice on Saturday and put it in a container in the pantry, I put the rice and water in a pan to boil then I turned around to close the rice container and saw BUGS all in it! then I looked at the rice in the boiling water and saw the dead BUGS come to the surface!!!! I had to throw everything away took everything out of the pantry (wasn't a lot) and threw out everything except can goods and cleaned and sprayed the pantry. Then it dawned on me that I had just bought the rice the day before and it was in an AIRTIGHT container and I saw no evidence of bugs anywhere else to the bugs must have been in the rice when I bought it! I googled "rice bugs" and sure enough this is a somewhat common occurance that the larvae is in the bags of rice when you buy it! and then when you open the bag I guess they get air and they hatch....the info I read said when you buy a grain product you should put it in the freezer for 1-3 days before putting it in a sealed container in the pantry to kill the larvae. I don't think I will ever eat rice again and not sure I will even buy it for my dog again! I was so grossed out I couldn't even eat my own dinner even though none of it had been in the pantry. I still feel itchy all over from having seen the bugs.