View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thumper

Welcome to SR. I can't say enough good things about the stickies at the top. There is so much information there.

I'm sorry you are in such a difficult position so far from home.

I believe he sincerly loves me too and yet he choses to continue on this self destructive path. Why?
Because he is an alcoholic that is why. That is what they do. The sad truth is an alcoholic will pick drinking over every thing and any one in their life. Alcohol becomes the primary relationship. Alcohol is what they protect, what they follow.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease so unless someone embraces recovery, it will only get worse. There is nothing you can do or say that will convince him to embrace recovery. That, I have learned, is an inside job - only he can decide when and if he is ready.

You can begin to take care of yourself by reading here. Codependent No More is a book by Melody Beattie that I found really useful. I also learned a lot about how to manage my own life while loving an alcoholic by attending alanon meetings. From the alanon site.

Many who come to Al-Anon/Alateen are in despair, feeling hopeless, unable to believe that things can ever change. We want our lives to be different, but nothing we have done has brought about change. We all come to Al-Anon because we want and need help.

In Al-Anon and Alateen, members share their own experience, strength, and hope with each other. You will meet others who share your feelings and frustrations, if not your exact situation. We come together to learn a better way of life, to find happiness whether the alcoholic is still drinking or not.
Since you do not like the concept of AA I'm not sure how you feel about Alanon but it might be worth a try.