Old 11-19-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
iheartsushi

Wonderful Advice!

Great advice!!!! I am going to do just that! This makes me feel very good now. Thank you!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
You don't have to walk away. You can hand her a slip of paper with alanon meeting information on it and say. "I love you. I know you are struggling with your boyfriends alcoholism. I need to protect my own sense of peace and calm in my life. This issue causes me stress, worry, frustration (whatever it is) and I can no longer be the sounding board for it. Here is a great resource that will provide you specific support in that area." Say that however you feel best.

Then, when she calls next week and starts in on the boyfriend, you politely end the conversation, or change the topic. You really and truly do not listen to it anymore.

You can still be her friend. You can still support her. You can set an amazing example of doing exactly what she is struggling with - setting a boundary that protects your own well being.

If she does begin to set her own boundaries a friend like you, who will support the steps she will be trying to make, will be such a gift.