Old 11-19-2010, 02:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
iheartsushi

Freedom, Thank you kindly for sharing your story with me. It means a lot and I do not take all you stated for granted.

Although this was extremely difficult to write today, it appears that the consensus it that while I love her unconditionally, I should accept that she has made her path and choice. While I cannot stand by and watch her destroy her life, I can support her through letting her know I love her but can no longer be her crutch or sound board. That is what I am taking away from all of these comments, even the tough ones that hurt my feelings.

My plan is to have another heart to heart with her (previous ones obviously didn't sink in as she has continued to call when in need) and will be stern. Since my husband and I are about to venture into one of the most difficult periods of our lives with building our family, it is important that I take care of myself.

Thank you again for sharing your story.

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
Hi iheartsushi, and welcome to SR.

I am a recovering codependent and recovering alcoholic/addict.

I also have a 22-year-old daughter who's been involved with an emotionally abusive alcoholic for over a year now.

As much as I love her, I can't live her life for her, or sway the choices she makes.

It's hard to detach when you see the train wreck happening.

My 22-year-old and I have a pretty good relationship in spite of things.

She knows not to bring the drama to my house.

The last time they had a major blowout, and she ended up going back to him, I told her "I love you and my heart hurts to see you settling for less than you deserve."

She knows how I feel. She continues to make the choices she does because she's got to walk her own path just as I have.

If you believe in God or a higher power, put your friend in your prayers. Don't ever underestimate the power of prayer.