View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 04:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Coyena

*update*

I know it's been awhile, but I would like to update everyone here.
I stayed in Texas for about a week, and I was in regular contact with my husband via cell phone. He told me he was going to work (Army), and I believed him.... for a few days. One day, after telling me he was "just sitting around in the office," he asked me to send him a photo of myself that he could masturbate to. (Embarrassing.) I immediately knew something wasn't quite right, and after some prodding, I finally dragged the truth out of him:

That he was still at the apartment, AWOL from the Army, and could not stop drinking for fear of the withdrawals. He told me he had tried to stop on Sunday (it was now Tuesday) and woke up at 4am with audio and visual hallucinations. He knew the liquor stores were closed, so he drank the entire bottle of Listerine in the bathroom, and thus threw up all over the apartment. He was crying to me on the phone, and agreed to go to the hospital if I (and my mom) came up there and took him.

I shouldn't have done this, but I left Texas for Kansas an hour after getting off the phone with him. On the drive, his Sergeant called me, told me they had been looking for him, and that paperwork to chapter (or kick) him out of the Army had already been started.

When we got to the apartment, it wasn't as bad as I expected. There were TONS of bottles on every available surface or counter top though. He had run out of dog food and was feeding the dog Campbell's soup, and the dog was thus pooping soup poops in the second bedroom.
I immediately called 911. The medics showed up, and talked with him, and told me it would "cost less" for us to drive him to the hospital, because he seemed okay and it didn't seem like an emergency. I insisted they take him, so they did. He stood up and walked down three flights of stairs.

I met him at the hospital, where they did a blood test, and determined his .BAC was .33 (remember, he walked down 3 flights of stairs and was able to talk and answer questions! Tolerance, I guess.)
After letting him "sober up" for a few hours, they gave him IV Valium to fight the withdrawals, and some pills to take home. Two sergeants came and picked him up from the hospital, because he was in trouble for disappearing for almost a week.
He came home later that evening, and had a really rough night. He gave me his pills to distribute to him, and he had these weird "full body" twitches all night long.

He recovered pretty quickly, and realized what he had to do. He recently came back from a month long in-patient treatment (the military agreed to send him after he asked to go) and has now been sober almost 2 months.
The fact that his career is on the line still hangs HEAVILY over our heads. I had a breakdown last night, but instead of ignoring me and passing out, he actually sat down and talked/listened to me. He is going to AA meetings every single day (sometimes two) and has a sponsor and all the tools he needs. I'm attending Al-Anon meetings, and learning how to live my own life, after going crazy chasing him around for the first year we were married.

Just wanted to thank everyone on here again for all the support you gave me at the beginning. I wish I had found this forum sooner! This will be a long and difficult road, but things are already looking up.

-Court