View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 08:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
NoAlcoholToday

Originally Posted by breakingglass View Post
BTW, this is day two for him not drinking.
Congratulations to him for his day 2! Honestly, that is a fabulous effort!

Originally Posted by breakingglass View Post
i can see how difficult it is for him. he's not sleeping and has been vomiting too. i hurt for him.
It is perfectly natural for him to have severe withdrawal symptoms. I myself have not been to see a Dr but over on our side of the fence they highly recommend you ask a doc to help you to ease this process. I am on my day 10 today and I am still gagging and wretching occasionally. The sleep thing will DEFINITELY improve for him with another day or two.

I cannot tell you how important it is to get the first day under his belt. In actual fact, I think the recovery process has to include a series of failures before we are truly ready. The most important thing is that he wants to try. One of our moderaters posted this today: "I had a million day ones before I finally did it".

Anyway, I reiterate, if at all possible, you should try to get ALL the alcohol out of the house (and try to get him to dispose of EVERY hidden bottle) and then keep it that way for a while. This is SUCH a tough road to travel and any temptation needs to be eliminated wherever possible. If he does need to drink, please try to get him off the vodka and onto red wine. It is soooo much less bad for him.

All the best of luck to you both.