View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
crystal226

Says he is going to quit

Been separated now from my AH for two months and we started marriage counseling three weeks ago. Today we had our third visit and for the third time it has been laid out to him that I will not live with him if he continues to drink and I told him today I expected a response to that because if he couldn't give me something we were wasting our time. His argument so far has been he won't quit until I move back in because I am trying to "control" him. He feels he doesn't have a problem and that the only problem is me. Well today he finally agreed to quit drinking and to do so for at least a month before I consider moving back in and says he will keep it up after I move back also. When I asked him to set a date he said tomorrow. It is hard for me to believe that he will quit and the way he is going about it doesn't make sense to me. I want to have faith in him, but I don't trust him and he doesn't seem very serious about it. I guess I just don't know what to do now or how to look at things. How do I proceed in evaluating the situation for myself when I am not around to do so? I will still see him three days a week when he takes the kids, but the rest of the time I won't be around. How can I tell if he is serious about quitting?
It is strange too because something about him quitting makes me nervous. I think the uncertainty of it makes me uncomfortable. I guess it is like if he is drinking I know what to expect from him and I know what to expect for myself (he drinks-I stay away), but if he quits then what. What if quitting is not enough?
Any thoughts?