Old 11-15-2010, 09:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
goldengirl3

Is there any reason you see not to block him?
Not really. I have to admit, I was a little relieved to hear from him last week because then I knew he wasn't dead or has lost his job. Isn't that awful? I think his drinking really is that bad anymore. But sometimes people just go on forever somehow...so I know I should just block the emails.

It sounds to me like you have your head screwed on pretty well in this.
Thanks. It's a lot easier for me than most people because mentally I left the relationship a very long time ago. The sleeping together part is dead too, so there is no temptation to go over there. And he picked at me so much, it was miserable and there is no missing him or longing to see him. I just really wasn't getting anything out of it.

What do you need?
I basically decided to move on...doing all the things I wanted to do that he wouldn't allow or didn't take priority over his drinking and his friends. I quit drinking and see a counselor who seems to be a good fit for me. I'm trying to find new hobbies, social sports, interests, etc. I had started a new job in July that was very team-oriented with happy and healthy people. That made a big difference too...because who wants to come home to drama and drinking when you've had a good day with good people all day.

I do admit, for about two minutes I had a small thought of "Well maybe I could spend Thanksgiving with him, the holidays suck alone" and then quickly went back to, "No that would just put off the inevitable, would be miserable and only enable his issues."