Old 11-14-2010, 07:41 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
FormerDoormat
Wipe your paws elsewhere!

No, I haven't read Dr Ralph Stanley's memoir. But you've got my interest up, so I'll do a Google search and find out more. I've never been to the Biltmore at Christmas-time, but I've been to the lighting of the national Christmas tree in Washington, DC. The last time I went it was absolutely freezing.

So, after reading one of your posts, Live, I made myself a nice big batch of turkey chili and cornbread and then followed that up with a really good chicken pot pie with a nice homemade pastry crust (I used my grandma's pie crust recipe). It was so good that I waited a few days and made me another one. The recipe calls for homemade chicken gravy, which I had frozen a couple of weeks ago after I'd made an oven-stuffer roaster and heavy cream. I bought some cream from a nearby store run by local farmers. They sell all sorts of products by farmers in my county, veggies, meats, cheeses, dairy products, and home-baked goodies, too. It's like taking a step back in time. I love that little store.

When I opened the cream Friday, the top appeared solid. So, I was thinking, hmmm, is this butter on top? I took a knife, scooped up a bit, and tasted it. Yep, it was butter. How delightful. Anyway, I added that cream to the pie and boy was it good.

Basically, you take leftover chicken and shred it. Then add olive oil and butter to a saucepan. Throw in some chopped onions, garlic, cubed potatoes, and sliced carrots and cook until the potatoes and carrots begin to soften. Then throw in the chicken, some chicken gravy, heavy whipping cream, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. I also threw in some frozen peas to make it more colorful. Then I put the mixture into a deep baking dish, whipped up a pie crust, placed it on top, vented it, and baked it until the crust was a nice golden brown.

I may be able to take a picture of the corn-painted silo for you, but first I'll have to scope out the area to see if I can safely pull over to take the shot. The farm is located on a two-lane road in an area that often has no place to pull over. The farm where the silo resides has a corn maze and hay rides each fall and advertises the event with a sign that reads "cows and corn." I find that amusing, too.