View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 03:35 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Tally

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
If you go back to the main page for all the forums on SR, you will see a description of each forum under the link for it.

For this forum, it reads:
12 step based recovery forum-(Al Anon)- for families, relatives, and friends whose lives have been affected by someone else's drinking. If someone close to you, such as a family member, friend, co-worker, or neighbor, has or has had a drinking problem you'll find support here.
Apologies Freedom. I come here directly to the F&F, don't see the main board much. I stand corrected. I still feel that the forum has become overly PC lately though, just my opinion.

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post
...and we certainly don't need to agree with each other. My point about posting less (which was a suggestion and not a direction) is that sometimes there is often more to be learned by listening, and when I am thinking about what I'm going to say next I'm not listening. She may or may not be doing that, but that's what I was trying to say. In retrospect I agree with you I should not have suggested she post less. Thanks for calling me on that. My apologies.

There is a board for new people, and this isn't it. It's the Newcomers Board. This is, in fact, a Friends and Family Al-Anon Board. While it is completely appropriate to let go, vent, and have people who understand and will listen without judgement, we are supposed to be very careful in how we offer advice (more like "suggest" and "consider," and less like "do this."). BTW, I don't see very much political correctness in Al-Anon meetings, or see how that's related to recovery in any way, and I go to two or more a week.

You are also correct that older members don't always know or have the answers. I agree 100 percent. I'm sharing my view as I see it, and trying to share experience, strength, and hope.

As to the "Poor me" comment and my implication that she is focused on him and his behavior, rather than on her and her recovery, I stand behind it. I don't like it when people call me on my stuff either, but I'm sure glad they do. I'm not here so others can reinforce my opinions, I'm here so they'll respond to them just like you did. That's how I learn. That said, it is clear that you also were offended by it, so to both of you I extend my apologies. Being offensive was not my intent at all.

Lastly, it's one thing to be politically correct, and it's another to indict another group of people altogether. While there are most certainly many grey areas around recovery and what is right and wrong, in my opinion the sociopath post was a little beyond the pale. There are many, many alcoholics who are very anti-Al-Anon, and comments like that are a big part of the reason (as is the fact that we teach their enablers to not enable).

Take what you want and leave the rest.

Cyranoak

P.s. I can be an ******* sometimes, so feel free to tell me when you think I'm manifesting my assholiness.

I'm not disagreeing that she's focusing on him and the "poor me" comment. I'm saying that when new members first start posting it is all about the A because that's how we've learnt to deal with it, it's all about them, what they did, how they make us feel and it's only by sticking around and posting and reading that we learn to shift the focus from them and onto us and our recovery.

I thought the "poor me" comment a little harsh, simply because it was directed towards a new member who is still in that stage where the focus hasn't shifted and they need to vent and have people who understand and who get it. If it were directed at me I would have been offended because I feel it's maybe a bit too straight talking for me, I prefer the softly, softly approach, but no need to apologise to me. x

Smacked, yeah I agree when you look at it like that, I can see where the offence comes from. I took it more as a share stories thread rather than poke fun but apologies if I offended you or anyone else.