Old 11-12-2010, 09:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
suki44883
RIP Sweet Suki

This is where I am not sure what to do. Because if he ends up dying from this soon, I feel like I could have done more. I feel like I just need to go down there and have one conversation with him, talk some sense into him, try to get him to realize that this is actually killing him - and he will die if he doesn't stop. I know it is stupid to think that he may not know this, but he has not been through this kind of thing before on his own. I feel like if I could just tell him that one more night of drinking can kill him - that I can maybe shock him enough and get him into some sort of treatment. I feel like I have to talk to him now, our relationship aside, the last thing I want is for him to be dead. I am convinced that I need to try this one time. I am so scared for him now...!

Dear, almost every one of us have felt this way. We thought that surely there was something we could say that would cause them to suddenly realize the path they were on. That because we love and care about them, we have the power to make them see how badly they are hurting themselves and those that love them. That just one more talk with them will open their eyes and they will make the decision to get help and stop the self-destruction.

Sadly, almost every one of us have found out that we are just not that powerful. That until the addict/alcoholic is in such discomfort and pain and disgust, they won't change the path they are on. It has to be more painful for them to continue as is than it would be to make the hard choices and change. Until they are at their most miserable, there is nothing any of us can do for them. We have to realize that all we can do is take care of ourselves.