Old 11-12-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
tjp613

Originally Posted by jluebs View Post
I am completely, utterly fearful that he is not going to want to be with me after this, and that he is not going to want to get sober. Or that he is going to end up drinking so much now that he dies.
I'm sorry, sweetie...but these fears are completely justified and exactly what you must prepare for. Alcohol has a very strong grip on this young man and if seizures and detoxing and the ER aren't enough to 'wake him up' then I'm afraid you may have met your match.

Your dilemma now is to come to grips with the fact that there is absolutely nothing you can do for HIM other than pray. You can talk to him, you can sleep with him, you can detox with him, you can do anything you want...but the fact remains that until the pain of drinking becomes greater than the pain of quitting, he is not ready. And then, even if he did seek recovery, he has a very long road ahead of him....with the possibility of relapse after relapse, which is an integral part of this disease.

I am sorry. I wish the reality were very different. I know it's not what you want to hear. You want to know what you can DO!

I suggest to you that you stick very close to this message board, read all the stickies at the top of the forum, think about attending an Al-anon meeting, and read everything you can about alcoholism and co-dependency.

Let us know how we can help.