View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 04:07 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Babyblue

I agree with Blackstrat this topic is absurd.

I could list all the symptoms of cancer and odds are most of us have experienced several of them in the past 6 months. Doesn't mean we have cancer!

It takes much more than a screener checklist to make a diagnosis. Psychopathy is a very serious mental illness. Not diagnosed lightly and treatment not taken lightly.

There is a flip side of this topic: Making snap judgements about people with potentially very serious mental conditions which could be treated. It spreads around mistruths and misinformation.

I don't like threads like this. It works against the type of work I do (in mental health!) trying to get people to seek treatment so that they can BETTER their lives. Not be catagorized because that simply is NOT how a diagnosis is made. What you listed is a screener tool. But so much more is taken into consideration before anyone is diagnosed with any type of mental illness.

I work with kids who are mentally ill and there is a very good reason to not let parents try to diagnose their kids. A misdiagnosis can mean treatment which may actually make a condition worse. My point being that mental illness of any kind is serious and understanding is one thing but diagnosing someone is absurd without the right tools and training.

And on a personal note, my RABF is the exact opposite of a psychopath. He feels TOO much which is why he drinks. So there goes your theory. Every person who struggles with alcoholism is unique and may or may not have other underlying issues or behaviors.