View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 09:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Cyranoak

Find another meeting-- they are all different...

...I don't believe in God, I hate church, and I hate to pray. And, usually, I don't really enjoy being around religious people at all. Any religion (they are all the same to me). Pretty much ever. Unless they promise not to talk about it.

AL-Anon works for me!
  • It works for me because I tried different meetings until I found ones that work for me.
  • It works because I didn't focus on the parts of it I don't like in order to justify not going or doing the step work (I take what I want and leave the rest).
  • It works because my higher power is The Group, and even though The Group never fixes anything for me, being a part of it is helping me fix things myself.
  • It works because I keep coming back.
  • It works because it forces me to listen, sometimes to things I don't want to hear.
  • It works because I keep myself accountable to The Group in the sense that I feel like we are helping each other get by, one day at a time.

Take what you want and leave the rest.

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by brokenheartfool View Post
and I haven't been a Christian since I was a kid.

So I'm having difficulty. It seems most of the people in my rural area want to talk about the 3rd step over and over again, almost every meeting.

It's not that I don't think what they are doing is good for them. It's just that I can't relate to the thinking that a higher power is going to take care of everything.
I simply don't believe that a higher power is going to take care of everything. I can't hand things over to a higher power when I don't believe that a higher power is looking over me.
It's not that I don't believe a higher power may exist. I'm agnostic. There may or may not be a higher power, or Christian God, as pretty much everyone in my meetings believes in but me. I'm not saying they are wrong, by any means.

Otherwise, I can relate to most things.

Is there a way to get past this, or do I need to drive around to find a new meeting group, or is al anon not going to work for me?

I very much am a huge codependent, and I very much need to work through my issues.
So what do I do?