Old 11-08-2010, 09:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Cyranoak

yes it is...

Although this is the Family of AA people forum, so it's more about Al-Anon folks, and less about AA folks (though they may respond the same way).

One of the primary ways that we control people is by "helping," which is why helping is so suspect. It is also a way to take away somebody else's power and/or responsibility for their own behavior. We are suspicious of it because, at least in my case, helping was how I got what I wanted, how I controlled people, or both. So, without the whole story, people will be very suspicious.

Now that you've shared the whole story, it certainly sounds to me like you have enough recovery to evaluate your response to her needs efffectively, and if it is healthy helping or not. As to the angry daughter, who knows, but I'd encourage you to put your Al-Anon to work there as well. Things will go the way they go.

Good luck. I'm sorry for Artist Daughter's circumstances and wish you both the best.

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by fullcircle View Post
Thank you all. I am also taking care of me as much as her when I go to NY. It is something I want to do. She was always the family caretaker, the helpful one. She cleaned house and cooked when I was a single parent. She is a really caring person. I am happy to be able to help her if I possibly can. I haven't done it before. She has taken care of herself all her life with no help from me. Is helping always suspect in AA?