View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Cyranoak

I'm sorry for your pain...

...but this may be the best thing to ever happenned to her. Everyone has different bottoms, and different experiences, and this may or may not be your daughter's. Be cautiously optimistic and not too hopeful because your daughter may have a ways to go, but my wife's arrest was the best thing ever! Nothing, and I mean nothing else, no matter how horrible, changed her behavior.

The next best thing ever was I actually had the stones to not bail her out or help her in any way. I thank seven years of Al-Anon for that. Before I would have enabled the hell out of her and rushed right in to "save the day." I'm pretty sure had I done that I'd have completely messed up any chance she had to deal with it on her own, and experience the consequences of her actions.

On her own, not because of me, not because of our teen daughter, and not under court order she has been sober and actively engaged in recovery since that day. I thought I'd never see it. I had already given up and mentally distanced myself from her.

Alcoholism is a wicked, twisted, sneaky disease and there is no guarantee my wife will not drink again, but the last few months of sobriety and recovery have been the best in years. She looks beautiful again, acts like "her" again, and I enjoy being with her almost all of the time. It appears she also likes me.

I'll take each of these days, each and every one, one day at a time.

Cyranoak