View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 10:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Cyranoak

You don't have to choose one over the other...

His behavior was completely inappropriate and reflects the attitude some, but not all, alcoholics have towards Al-Anon which is it is an Us vs. Them dynamic. Al-Anon is percieved as the enemy because it teaches the enablers to not enable, and some alcoholics feel threatened by that. You were paired with just such an alcoholic, and a controlling one at that. You would have been within your rights to stop working with him immediately. When you sensed something was wrong it was. You were correct.

When in an AA meeting, the focus is AA and Al-Anon talk is inappropriate. When in an Al-Anon meeting, the focus in on Al-Anon and AA talk is not appropriate.

When you feel like an Al-Anon meeting, go to one. When you feel like an AA meeting, go to one. They are not mutually exclusive.

Take care,

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by missb89 View Post
Thank you all. I can't decide which I think I need to focus on more. Struggling not to drink was never a daily struggle, where as struggling not to strangle my dad, or XABF was, lol. I plan on going to two meetings for each every week. I don't know how working the steps for both will go, can I work the same steps at the same time for each one? Like just start on step 1 with both? And continue? I just love Al-anon it gives me more of a feeling of peace than AA does, AA makes me feel like I'm not being judged but because I didn't get as bad as everyone there I sometimes feel out of place. I'm trying a more women oriented meeting thursday though.