Old 11-03-2010, 05:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Summerpeach

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post
The first is that I highly recommend you go to six or more in-person Al-Anon meetings in the next two weeks. If you don't like one you've attended, try another. Sometimes people use these forums to avoid having to see people face-to-face or because they are isolated or isolating. I'm not saying you are doing this, but I can say that in my experience there is something to be experienced at an in-person meeting that simply can't be matched online. I see value in both in-person meetings and on-line forums-- together they are very powerful. Alone they help, but not at the same level.

Secondly, the fact that you cannot control your anger and behavior when drinking suggests he may not be the only one with a drinking problem, or that you may be drinking in order to handle his drinking (I did that-- highly ineffective for me). Perhaps not, but consider that it may be true.

Thirdly, it appears crystal clear from your post that you are trying to control him and his behavior, both overtly and passive agressively. In my opinion it is unlikely to result in anything other than increased anger and resentment-- on both of your parts.

Fourth, end the endless talks and they will end. Continue the endless talks and they'll be endless. Have they ever changed anything? Ever?

Lastly, get thee to an Al-Anon meeting.

This is, of course, just my opinion. Take what you want and leave the rest.

Cyranoak-

P.s. I don't wish what you are experiencing on anybody. I lived your scenario for a long time, but was in denail a lot longer. Well done figuring out something a little sooner.
Your first post and to me, you hit the nail right on the head.

Don't make ANY decision to stay or leave until you've gone to al anon to work on your own recovery.
It's SO EASY for others to bark out "leave him" when they know full well how "leaving an addict" works.

ONLY make decisions about your recovery for now, then you can focus on either staying or leaving.

Your BF will only recover when he's in enough emotional pain to do so and this pain will not come when/if you leave. You may think so, as will he because he may beg for you to stay or promise to stop, but these promises are based on fear. He needs to make the decision based on his own struggles.