Thread: 14 Days
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Itchy
Re-Member

Welcome aboard!
Day 41 here and I named myself itchy because my skin got extremely dry and I got dandruff for the first time, my memory has all gone to heck, and I have had a few days with a case of the nerves for a few minutes to an hour since becoming sober.

I also haven't gotten up swollen and feeling like I got beat up, run over by a truck and whipped in a blender. No puking and phlegmmy mornings, no headaches, no restrictions and isolation because I don't drink and drive, no snap decisions out of alcoholic apathy, and no running away from problems. I taste more, feel more, hurt more, rejoice more, relax more, regret more, do more, love more, forget more, itch more, and in general have to learn more all over again.

When the withdrawal pains seem to be a lot I just chant my mantra that in six months to two years these minor aggravations will be gone. Maybe less as it varies with each. And remind myself to go workout, walk, walk the pups, wash the truck and car and scooter, work on the projects left half done or barely started in my drinking days, read a good book, and slowly but surely I will emerge different, better I hope but that is really up to me.

Comfort is a luxury of the alcoholic me, because I just didn't care as long as I was anesthetized to dealing with life, I just coasted along making sure my alcohol supply was insured, and my schedule never intruded on my buzz.

Until the short, medium, and long term power of the drug ethanol's withdrawal effects go away, it will send us what discomfort it thinks will make us come back for that comfort. We have to see it for what it is.

Congrats on your current sobriety. Your long term depression was there before and you might need a doc to help with that, but at least you don't have to be depressed about being alcohol dependent in every sense of that word today.

It takes awhile for the body to undo what the alcohol changed and the mental changes are the most difficult for some, the physical for others.

If it was easy to quit we wouldn't have any alcoholics would we?

If you need some medical support get it.

And hang in there. I will hang in there too