View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TWill101

Hello TWill, Welcome to this site. Let me start off by saying I'm very sorry about the death of your older brother Jimmy. That's very sad, and his age was very young. As far as your other brother goes, you are powerless over his addiction. The only person that can help him stop using drugs, is himself. I'm sorry to tell you that, but it's so true. I have been where you are with my own son, who got an inheritance of $300,000 from my dad who passed away. My son was totally addicted at that time and spent alot of his money foolishly and on drugs. Being that he was an adult, I was not able to put a hold on his money in any way. The best you can do is try talking to your brother, and telling him to get help before he winds up dead. If he's shooting xanax, that's serious. I'm sorry your going through this. I know how tough it is. Keep coming back here. Others will be along soon to offer support. I sure hope your brother gets the help that he needs. My brother died of an overdose 12 years ago. Addiction is a disease. The brain keeps telling the addict to get the drugs, even when they are sick and tired of it. It's a sad situation. But there is help and recovery. Your brother has to want it. Not you.
Thank you for your kind words and I appreciate your condolences. I'm very aware that his problem is pretty serious. He was shooting painkillers before he went to rehabilitation the first time. Thank you for your advice and I eventually hope to find a way to approach my brother about it.

Originally Posted by crazybabie View Post
I just wanted to welcome you to SR, there will be some people more knowledgable than I am come along soon. However I can tell you this if your hoping "forcing" him into recovery will work your way off base. An addict has to want help then they still have a very long road ahead of them.

Hugs,

It's less about forcing him into rehab, I'm well aware of that. He went willingly the first time and that essentially got him nowhere. It's more about preventing him from obtaining an ever bigger sum of money than he already has to waste on drugs.