Old 11-01-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
coyote21
Awakening

Originally Posted by Midwestman View Post
Posts: 2 I am new to posting on this site but have been reading the posts for a long time..hearing all the stories out there have always made me feel better because I knew I was not alone out there...i have been married for over twenty years to an alcoholic and cocaine user..I have two step children that are heroin addicts..I can relate to the craziness and the anger That you have been talking about..my story could fill an entire book and I don't even know where to start..I guess the worst part for me has been the humiliation of having a wife who sometimes doesn't even come home after a night of drinking ..the resentment between us has been going on for years..I've always considered myself a strong man and in spite of all the hardships in dealing with with a family riddled with alcohol cocaine and heroin addictions I'm still alive and kicking...through it all I've actually done well in the other areas of my life and have a well adjusted teenage son between us that seems to have my genes (no addictive tendencies) thank god..I have to say though there were times I felt I was being pulled into a depressive funk by all the craziness and drama I've been through..I've basically cut my two step children out of my life and am looking into moving out..my son is older now and understands..

Hello Midwestman, good to see another man on her, although I must say, sorry for the reason you're here.

That line about the humiliation of having a wife that doesn't even bother to come home anymore, man did that ever bring back memories. I can relate.

What a blessing that your boy is sober and "gets it" about his mom. Sounds like it's time for you two to bail outta that sinking ship.

I was court ordered to attend Alanon, which I'd never heard of, and it has been over 4 years now, and has proven to be a life saver/changer for me.

Like you, I thought I was the only man in the world to be going through what I was with my axw and little girl, Alanon helped with that too, along with SR.

I "lurked" here for over 2 years, and like to think I hold the unofficial record!

Smart of you to get away from the step children too, Alanon/SR has taught me that we can't save our loved ones. But they can sure as hell drag us down with them if we don't "leg go" of the rope.

Any way, we seem to have gathered quite a good group of men on here lately, hope you stick around and let us support you as you begin to take care of yourself, and control of your life.

Once active alcoholism was out from under my roof, things began to improve fast. Just being out of the nonstop chaos allowed me to finally relax and gain some mental clarity.

It gets better.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote