View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 02:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Update on Oreo kitty

The results of the bile acid test came back, and he is in liver failure, though it's not life-threatening at this point.

Amber has been boarding him there all this time to see how he would do, and we didn't want to stress him by having him come back in case it was the lipidosis.

He's remained on his liver medications, is being treated for an ulceration on one eye, and has done well. He eats on his own.

He is walking much better, and between Amber and me, someone visits him every day (today was my day). He loves to explore the entire cat room and eats the clinic cats' food (they have 2 in residence there).

Amber felt it was best, and the vet agreed, that Oreo will go to Amber's new house (it's only one block from me), and I will have the rest of the cats at my place. There he can be the only cat, and no doubt less stressed as compared to the insanity of 6 dogs, and 7 cats total here which has been the case since Amber moved in.

The only other thing the vet said could be done is a sonogram and liver biopsy, but with bills of almost $900 between the two clinics, that's out. At best those would give us a cause of the liver failure, but he would still be treated as he is now.

She recommended that Amber have another bile acid test done in 3 months.

Here are a few pictures of the little guy. He was the cat who held down my printer for years until I got a couple of the soft cloth kitty cubes, and he started sleeping in one of those.

He was also my back door percher when the cats were still indoor/outdoor.

I think the other boys picked on him because he's pretty small at 8 pounds. Big boy Bagheera is 16 pounds, Riley is 14 pounds, and I think Goober was 13 pounds at last weigh-in.