View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
markallan

Hello all, I'm new here

Hello All
My wife has been suffering from Depression and has been taking medication. Last year she admitted that she was drinking heavily, during the day and at night, to the point where she had passed out during the day, I had no idea at the time how much she was drinking, I knew she was but I had no idea it was a problem until she told me. We agreed that she would stop the daytime drinking, but social at parties or at the beach would be ok in moderation. My mistake we should have tried to eliminate alcohol all together. The first time I was very calm, collective and supportive, with the caveat that if it happened again we would have much larger problems.

Fast forward to the current time, I started having my suspicions that she was drinking again, I searched for any hidden bottles with no luck. Due to some recent problems we’ve been having she left me a note yesterday morning say that we need to talk that there was something she needed to tell me. Last night while she was out at an event at our daughters school I looked for a bottle again, this time I searched a little harder and ended up finding one. While I was curious to see if that’s what she wanted to talk about, I marked the bottle so I could see if and how much was being consumed. After our daughters were in bed we started talking and she admitted that she was drinking again, but that this time she was going to get some help, with some sort of pill that makes you sick if you drink and that she was seeking out AA meetings. I said I thought she should talk to her parents about what’s going on, she said she did not want to that. To me (my personal opinion) is that part of the process is admitting that there is a problem, which she did to me but I feel her family should be made aware too. Even though they live in a different country and only get to see them once or twice a year.

I’m lost, I don’t know should I be going to the meetings with her, should I tell her that if it happens again I’m leaving and taking the girls. I just don’t know how much more I can take…..

Mark