View Single Post
Old 10-24-2010, 06:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
a fallen man

another year older

yesterday was my birthday. i turned 51.

i quit drinking on september 8 of '09 so i had around 6 weeks under my belt when i turned 50. i decided to challenge myself and run a 5k that weekend. pretty stupid when you're not a runner.

i ran in the same race yesterday and felt much better as the body has healed so much in the one year (and month) of not drinking. i'm still no runner. i actually had not ran any since that race last year. but i can tell i have no poison in the system now.

a couple weeks ago my oldest son proposed to a young lady we love.

her family invited us over for dinner last night. we've met in the past but this is the first 'occasion' since we're official now. i was feeling a whole 'meet the fockers' vibe yesterday and didn't want to embarrass my son or future daughter in law.

they are really good people. honest hard working folks like my family. but fairly religious and totally non-drinkers.

it was a wonderful time. good food. good 'iced-tea'. as i sat chatting with the dad after the table was cleared i was so thankful that i had not been drinking that day.

and that i was not anxious to get home and get my drink on. i did nothing embarrassing to my son like show up with vodka breath.

folks. we have good days and bad days. we had those before we drank, when we drank and we have them after quitting too. but it feels so good to perform as a functional human being with nothing to alter us that i can't really put down the words to tell you.

it just feels good to be normal. and normal is our reset/default function. not 'with drink'....lol.

love always,

david.