View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 03:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
naive

hi brooklyn girl-

i think divorcing an alcoholic is a great idea. the reason i think this is because it is best not to have any liability or shared finances with an alcoholic. we all know that this is a progressive disease and as the disease progresses, they really do some very irresponsible things. they burn through the finances, oftentimes very quickly. they are irresponsible with debts. they crash cars, they drive drunk, they end up sick, needing expensive medical treatment and/or rehabs.

i think it's best to legally remove yourself, your finances, your liability with an alcoholic.

as for the relationship, just because you are divorcing him doesn't mean he is falling off of the planet earth.

let's say that he does enter recovery...just because you've divorced him doesn't mean that you can't re-engage in the relationship at a later date.

if you are married to him and he accrues a whole bunch of debt, you would be responsible for it. if he ends up with complicated medical issues, you would be responsible for the bills. etc.

i think it's a fantastic idea to divorce him. and great if he says it can be amicably at this time. make your move and get yourself out of harms way.

so many of us here have lost our houses, our cars, our savings with our alcoholics. and as the disease progressive, they get more desperate and before you know it, you've lost your financial security and then they come back with a lawyer and you end up paying them alimony and half of your pension! , even though they have been unemployed and contributed nothing other than debt to the household finances.

divorce him quick!

naive