Old 10-22-2010, 08:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
4mylittleones

Thanks Nodaybut2day. You are all so sure of things and intelligent. I think it is easier for me to make a suggestion to a friend...but more difficult to enforce this myself. I am SO glad I posted about this and realize that if I had posted in the recent past I may not have made so many mistakes or bad choices. I always claim to want to make the best choice for my kids...but it ends up maybe that's not what is actually happening.

I have had a basic conversation with my (almost) 7 year old. I decided after the admittance by my XAH in February and the subsequent relapse that it wasn't my job to hide it from him. Things were changing drastically at that point as far as visitation went, and he needed to understand (in basic terms) that his Dad wasn't making healthy choices and that my most important job as his Mom was to keep him safe. He doesn't understand the details, but knows that his Dad has made unsafe choices.

I guess I have wanted him to get help for so long that it might be normal for me to hope that this will be it....but I've been there before. He needs to prove (over time) that he will do the work to get better and I need to focus more on making healthier choices myself as well.

Thanks everyone. All of your support and suggestions are making me take a step back and really THINK.