Old 10-22-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
nodaybut2day

Originally Posted by 4mylittleones View Post
I would not tolerate this treatment from any other friend of mine though, I admit that.
So you're aware of a boundary. Good. Now how do you go about enforcing this boundary? What would you advise a friend in a similar situation?

I think I just wanted to much for my boys not to lose out on anything just because we got divorced.
If they are "losing out", it would be through no fault of your own. It is not your job to make up for your XAH's lack of parental involvement, and sadly, try as you might, you cannot protect your children from the consequences of their father's behaviour.

I know it will be difficult for you, but it seems to me that you need to politely cut ties with your X. His recovery is his business and as Naive so aptly said...do you really want to be involved in this now?

My younger son is turning 7 in just over a week. I had told him and his Dad that they could visit close to his Birthday. Wishing I hadn't already said that.
Perhaps it's time to have an age-appropriate discussion with your younger son about his father's illness and how it will affect visitations and whatnot. I know it will suck (I had a similar discussion with my then 11 year old stepson), but kids are surprisingly resilient and adaptable.

Keep posting! SR is always open