View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 10:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by DancingCreek View Post
So my question is this...I'm at a loss on what to say or do when someone tries to say that because I was half an hour late, they drank. Seriously, I am asking for specifics here. My intitial thought when I got home " Are you kidding me? Get some balls and take responsibility (see why I'm asking - I don't think that is what I should say, but its certainly what I want to say)."

One reason I knew I could be with him was because of his honesty with his issues. I have plenty of my own and he deals with me too. But this blame game is not going to work and I have no issue hitting the flight button - its my pattern to do so quite frankly. However, after twenty years of being single, I married him because he is a good, decent, kind man and I want to try to work it out. But my drama days are over and even though I live with someone who drinks too much he is out of his mind if he thinks I'm going to live in an unhappy home.

Any thoughts? I take full responsibility for putting myself in this situation. I had no denials when I married him. I knew I marrying someone who drank a lot, its what I know. But I also know that my happiness is just that - mine. He is great to me and we have a very nice life, but under no circumstances will I put up with anyone blaming me for drinking, ever, nor will I make or accept some ******** excuses for it. He drank too much because he is alcoholic and that is what he chooses to do...it has NOTHING to do with me.
Welcome to the SR family!

I believe you would benefit from setting healthy boundaries for yourself. If you do not want to be blamed for someone elses actions, then cease the conversation or remove yourself from the drama. The blamer can continue to blame you, as we are powerless to control others. However, you would be taking steps to remove yourself as the target by ceasing the conversation or removing yourself from the drama.

I believe this will happen again. Many times, in fact, as this is classic alcoholic behavior.

If it were me, I would reply: I'm not listening to this tonight.
If it continued, I would leave the house for the night.
I will not be blamed for someone elses destructive behavior.

The 3 C's:
I did not Cause it
I will not Control it
I can not Cure it

Alanon and SR can help you learn to set healthy boundaries.