View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 08:34 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Learn2Live
To thine own self be true.

OK, I admit, this thread triggered me. And I apologize sincerely for any bad behavior on my part. To prevent any further bad behavior by me on this thread, and since I want to participate in this conversation, I am copying what Pelican posted earlier right here to refer to while I type:

Share your ES&H with others.

Your Experience
Your Strength
Your Hope
Originally Posted by hurtandangry View Post
Okay...........I drove........I attended.........I even tried participating.
Good first step hurtandangry. Good on you for doing that for yourself.

Ever feel like a turd in the punch bowl? I was the only male in the room.
No, I have never described myself in that way. Is there some way you can describe yourself that creates a more positive picture? It must be difficult to be the only male in a room full of females. What if you were in a bar or at a party full of females and you were the only male? Would you feel like that in THAT situation? Something to ponder.

To make matters even more interesting a bearded biker type dude pouring his heart out in the midst of want-to-be society type women is really pretty weird.
How did you know these women want to be society type? Do you think perhaps this could be a judgment of those people? I don't think that sounds weird at all. I think you did a good thing for yourself.

I seriously doubt I’ll be going back to that meeting.
They are all different.

Are most al-anon meetings about how men don't/ won't/ can't "complete" their wives?
No. I have never interpreted any Al-Anon meeting in this way. I never thought any Al-Anon meeting had anything to do with male topics versus female topics, or how men do not complete anyone. We seemed to all just be people who had common problems.

Listening to the perspectives expressed I don't doubt that many of the supposed alcoholics these people were trying to learn to cope with may have been seeking solace in a bottle because their relationships were so dysfunctional.
Try the Three C's:
We did not cause it,
We cannot control it,
And we cannot cure it.

I can honestly see how working the steps will help those folks get a handle on their own lives but I’m afraid that environment would cause me to speak out of turn and most likely negatively effect someone’s work on themselves.
How might working the steps help you get a handle on your life?