Old 10-18-2010, 02:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
TeM

I tend to dislike confrontation, as well, always have. Lately, however, I've been a little more aggressive with AW because she seems to be on a fast downward spiral. Unlike many drunks, however, AW does not get belligerent... she just gets all wobbly and catatonic.

The frustrating thing for me is that all of our conversations about her drinking have resulted in nothing. She will not admit a problem, and she has no interest in quitting. She usually ends up just staring off into space, or telling me to stop making a big deal out of it. This infuriates me, but I try to hold my tongue lately. If I show anger toward AW, our daughter gets mad at me. She seems to think AW will get better if I just show a little more affection.

When I came home the night AW broke her ankle, the first thing Daughter said to me was "Don't be mad at her".

When she's drinking, I just go upstairs to my office... and I've also learned to dread that sound of ice in the glass. I can even hear her footsteps as she stumbles to her "secret" stash and pours another one.

It's a helpless, frustrating feeling. I can totally relate.