Old 10-18-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
glitter

My history/experience includes a self-tapering of hydro/oxycodone over a period of at least a year. In the end, I had myself on a maintenance dose of about 15-20mg/day - taking 2.5mg at a time several times a day.

When I finally stopped completely, I still had all the physical withdrawal symptoms (except the RLS that I DID have when I tried to stop in years earlier when I took more mg/day). The thing that helped me not use again was that I had somewhere to go every day to help me stay clean (rehab and meetings - being around other recovering addicts). The support I received in the beginning and the continuing support I get from continuing rehab care, meetings and working the steps of NA I believe, is the MOST important thing I do in my sobriety.

In the past I would taper but never sought the help and support I so desperately needed. It was what they call insanity....doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results.

Today is my 4 month birthday. It took me 6 years to get this birthday with many MANY self-tapering/willpower attempts. I think the ignorance among many health care providers when it comes to addiction is disgusting.

Can you call an addiction hotline? Maybe they can help you find help. Or can you find a meeting? It's kinda hard to walk into that first meeting, but when I finally did - I was amazed!

All the best....