View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 06:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
TeM

TheEnd, you have a point. However, I'm not really sure what else to do. Maybe I'm too spineless, but I feel obligated to give her basic care. She is stuck in a reclining chair, right now. She's too heavy to use a walker or crutches. I'm working on getting the house arranged so that she can get from room to room in her wheelchair.

If I could afford it, I'd put her in a nursing home, but we just don't have the money.

I suppose I could just let her fend for herself, but that doesn't really seem humane... plus, I'd have to clean up the mess eventually.

I understand the whole concept of enabling, but detaching isn't easy, at least for me. I suppose I have underestimated the power of this disease. I know that if I hurt myself that badly doing something, I'd be inclined to stop doing it. I hate the thought of being dependent on other people, so I'm not going to do anything to unnecessarily put myself in that position. Unfortunately, alcoholics don't seem to think that way... at least mine doesn't.