View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

You will find lots of support and information here for yourself. Your daughter may also benefit from this site by joining the newcomer's forum. However, I encourage you to keep your recoveries and online identities seperate.

Please make yourself at home by reading and posting as much as needed. The area at the top of this forum contains sticky (permanent) posts. Those posts contain some of our stories and loads of wisdom.

This is a link to steps that have helped some of us:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html

About the "God" reference at AA and Alanon:
Take what you like and leave the rest. (both groups recommend)

I live in the bible belt of southern USA. Most everyone at the AA and Alanon meetings I have attended refer to their HP (Higher Power) as Jesus.

I am not Christian.

I attend meetings and take what I like and leave the rest. I was desperate enough to seek support that I was not going to let another person's HP get in the way of my recovery.

At first, my HP was my Hewlett Packard. It can do things for me that I can not do for myself. seriously.

Now, my HP is my recovered self. The self that knows the rights actions. The self that knows the right choices. My recovery journey keeps me on the path that seeks that HP (my recovered self).

Keep reading and posting. We are here to support you.