Old 10-15-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Harry01854

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
ps. and some meetings are just pretty rubbish...but as my sponsor would say "so what did you do to make it a good meeting *apply swear word of choice*":-)
Exactly what my sponsor asked me. A meeting I disliked and refused to go to. So when my sponsor asked me that, and I knew I didn't do anything to make it a better meeting, I took on a commitment to go to that meeting everyday, it was at noon every weekday and was an Open Discussion Meeting. As much as I disliked being there, I started sharing what I was familiar with. The Big Book and the 12 Steps. I didn't share everyday or take up a lot of time because I wanted to listen to what others had to share also. All I can say, I got to know a lot of the people that were at that meeting everyday. I got to share with them one on one more and more and was also questioned a lot about the 12 Steps. I grew to like that meeting a lot, because now there were more and more people who were sharing about making changes in themselves and their lives.

I stopped going to that meeting about 2 years ago and meet people, who still go to that meeting, and thank me for sharing and for being there for them when all they knew was to just don't drink.

So it isn't always about what I can get out of any meeting, but what do I have to bring to the table. How can I help?

Harry