View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TeM

Angry Pardon me while I vent

Okay, I'm sure I have lots of "I told you so's" coming my way, but I have to air this out.

AW fell and broke her ankle last week; I brought her home from the hospital today. She'll be unable to put weight on the foot for eight weeks, which, in her case, means a wheelchair. She's just too heavy to use crutches.

She's in a lot of pain after the surgery, and I'm doing what I can for her, though I cannot stay home; I have to work. We've got things situated where she can stay alone with a cooler beside her chair with sandwiches and drinks, and she can get around in the wheelchair if she's feeling ambitious.

Here's the kicker. After all the pain, all the inconvenience she's imposing on herself and others, not to mention the thousands of dollars this will cost us... she's not ready to give up the bottle.

A asked her point blank today if she's ready to quit, and she said she was ready to cut back to one drink per day. Despite the warnings, and all that I've read on here, I was quite surprised, and angry.

She said "Give me a chance to prove that I can limit myself". I'm sure lots of people here have heard similar delusions from their alcoholics. I heard a similar one myself, over a year ago. After a bad fall, she said she was going to quit. When I expressed doubt, she said "Have a little faith in me."

The amazing thing to me is that she seems to be in total denial about her problem. She has lied to the members of her family about how the fall happened, though I did get her to admit the truth to her doctors.

Anyway, I can see now that our marriage is probably doomed... this will only happen again as soon as she's able to get her hands on more booze, and she'll eventually bankrupt us.

When this last accident happened, my daughter and I thought that surely she would be scared into quitting. We were only kidding ourselves.

Sorry to ramble on so. This has been one stressful week.