View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 07:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Yep, nobody knows what the future really holds for them. 6 months ago.....would you have guessed you'd be where you are today? - doubt it.

So....since it's so out of your ability to control it (and we alkies just love to think we're "in control") the best way to handle it is to quit trying to handle it. Tomorrow will take care of itself. The only time you truly have is the present - the now. That you have some say in. So make the best of the present, try to let the past be and deal with tomorrow when it's the present.

My experience: abstinence is horrible. you're still the same messed up person (physically but especially mentally and spiritually). Until all 3 of those areas get "recovered" life still seems pretty shaky. When all 3 ARE addressed though.....and real recovery sets into all those areas......then life starts for real.

I can't imagine ever wanting to go back to my old life. Being driven by fear, resentment, self centered thinking, selfishness, false egotism, and my only pressure-release-valve was checking out mentally behind alcohol or drugs. Sheesh, that's just no way to life.