Old 10-14-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Zappy

Help needed with setting limits/rules for my sister moving in

I think that my adult sister will be moving into my home after she gets out of rehab next week. Her husband filed for divorce and she might not be allowed to go back to her home and kids.

My questions are what limits or rules should I set? I already told her that she has to follow all of her discharge treatment plans which I anticipate will be an intensive outpatient type of thing and will include meetings, and therapy. I think that her attorney for the divorce will have her do alcholol/drug screens so she can prove (hopefully) that she is clean. I told her that she can't sit around all day alone in our lower lovel of the house watching tv all day. She needs to be a part of my family. I expect her to be sad and cry but I don't want my 2 year old to see her crying all the time. I also told her that she has to stay clean because as much as I love her, I don't want my son to be a prt of her addiction.

I want to tell her that if her IOP doesn't keep her busy that she needs to volunteer someplace and look for a job depending on the suggestions of teh divorce attorney.

Am I missing anything? Nobody in my family has ever had an alcohol or drug addiction so this is new terrority for me, although I have been dealing with hers for 14 years but at a distance.

Any help/suggestions/advice would be appreciated.