View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
nicki22

new here and need advice

well I am new here and my story is kind of long. My past: 6 years ago i left a 4 year relationship with someone who was addicted to pain pills and coke. throughout that relationship I endured everything under the sun and finally walked away and never looked back. it was the best move I ever made. I dated many people after but didnt ever really get serious with anyone. I did and still do have a huge "no drug" rule with anyone I dated. I always made it known early in a relationship that i had no tolerance for drugs. So fast forward 6 years. I meet a new guy. I live in a small town and everyone knows everyone. I hade never met this guy before but knew his past just from small town gossip. His past: 6 years ago he went into rehab for pain pill addiction. when he got out he joined the army and left our small town. He served 15 months in Afghanistan and when he returned he moved to a base closer to home. Everyone I knew said how the army had changed him and he wasnt the loser/pill head anymore. So around Christmas 09 he asked me out. things went really fast. After 2 months of dating he was talking marriage and was ready to have a child. (neither of us have any. Im 35, he is 31) so it sounded reasonable. However, then i started seeing the red flags. In April, I found out he borrowed money from my brother and when I confronted him, he denied it. and he still hasnt paid it back. A week later, he totaled my car and though he offered, he didnt pay one penny to help me out to get a new one. he comes in every weekend from the army base and stays in my house and doesnt pay a penny because he says hes broke. He was injured in the war (back injury) and the army docs give him a prescription for lortab and vicodin. anything we do, I have to pay for and sometimes he asks to borrow money or for me to put gas in his car. Again, he cant even take me to taco bell. I served in a wedding in Florida this summer and he wanted to come and assured me he would pay for half of everything...what I got? You guessed it...nothing. he did agree to pay a bill for me once and he sent a money order and lo and behold...it got lost in the mail and never made it there. I dont think he ever sent it. and the clincher is i recently went through his phone and read texts to several people looking for lortab on 3 different occasions. when i confronted him on it he first denied it, then said that this was the first time he ever went looking for pills on the street.and that he was sorry and shouldnt have done it...hahah. not long after i confronted him...he broke up with me because "I dont trust him". I think what I am looking for is some reassurance that he really is on drugs and that i didnt overreact. I mean, these really are red flags, right??? Im not crazy am I? He is making me think that I have no reason to not trust him and I am starting to second guess myself. I know that is probably part of his manipulation game but seriously...what do you think? thanks