View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 05:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sojourner

Update on son's eye

A couple of months ago i started a thread looking for ESH because my AS had called me asking for help because he had been pitching a softball game and had taken a line drive to the eye (gosh, a 50 MPH hit from a distance of 30 feet?) I realize that I have never updated on that story.

Thanks to all the kind posters. I just wanted to let you know that his eye was not able to be saved. He has an eyeball and the muscles that move his eye work, but he cannot see out of it and it is an unrepairable damage. When I got on here that day, i knew it was a very dire situation - something that I was not able to convey. Because he had waited 6 hours to go to the ER, he could have been dealing with untreated brain swelling which also added to the gravity of the situation.

Here is a consequence of living the drug/alcohol lifestyle. He lives in poverty, and the reason he did not go immediately to the hospital was because he had no insurance and did not want to add more to his debt load. Plus he might have thought they would not treat him without insurance. I do not know, I was not there when it happened. But I spent the next 3 weeks taking him to the eye clinic and buying the prescriptions he needed. There were bridges mended during that time between he and I.

It is because of Alanon and the positive support of people here that I am able to get through this. This son and I are now back to the minimal contact we had before because he is out of the woods on his eye and because he is still living the same way. I continue to have hope that he will someday want a clean and sober lifestyle.

I just wanted to say "thanks" to all that offered me ESH during that time.

Sojourner