Thread: Here we go...
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JenT1968

I'm sorry this has happened, I'm not surprised your daughter is angry and resentful AND conflicted. I remember when my mum would tell me about things my dad had done and how angry she was with my dad, it didn't matter what he had done, or whether I was also angry with him for the same things, I felt it was between them, I felt I was being burdened and forced to "side", I also felt backed into a corner and started to defend him. In reality the things going on in their marriage were nothing to do with me and I was being burdened, there is a line between explaining our feelings and actions to our children (even grown ones) and using them as a support system/burdening them with things that are none of their business, it's a hard one to balance. As a young adult, I had no real understanding of a full adult relationship and where responsibility for feelings and actions lay, but I remember feeling my mum was being a matyr and if she hated it that much she should grow a backbone and get out rather than carry on moaning about it, especially to me. I have more compassion now that I am decades away from 18, and have lived with the effects of alcoholism in a partner but there is a core of truth there I think.

I know you don't need picky, pedantic comments right now, but me being me, I'm going to throw one in to chew over when you have some time and space:

Now the whole family gets to suffer the consequences of her alcoholism.
Now the whole family gets to suffer the consequences of continuing to live with her alcoholism.

subtle difference, but I have found it an important distinction.

good luck and hugs ((TeM))