View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
coyote21
Awakening

Originally Posted by Mambo Queen View Post
Gotta admit, I do wish his sisters were more willing to step in in times of crisis--like, I get why they wouldn't want him to live with them permanently, but to stay for a few days before treatment. Look, I understand the desire to go NC, it's certainly preserved my sanity, but a selfish part of me feels my own guilt burden would be lessened if I knew they were willing to do some things for him.
We are powerless over people, places, and things. IMHO, you have NO guilt in his situation.

Here are thoughts that make me feel better:

--He's where he needs to be right now.
--If he's truly all alone, that will help motivate him to change.
--I haven't a clue how he's survived these past 6 weeks, as I know he's out of money, but somehow he's found a way, and he'll continue to find a way.
--He's never really been seriously suicidal, in my humble opinion. Even this, if I had all the facts, I would be willing to bet was more of a "cry for help" as he has expressed interested in going to a psych ward before but knows you have to be suicidal before they'll admit you.
--My best help didn't help. And I don't have the money to keep supporting him anyway, even if I thought it would help.
Try and focus on these things, all reality and all true.

Here are thoughts that make me feel worse:

--Poor him, being all alone and having to go through this. Everyone deserves a support system.
--At least when I was helping/in contact he wasn't attempting suicide. What if he dies? Will it be my fault in some way?
--Do I want him to die without having said a proper goodbye? Without his daughter doing so?
He's used you and his family up, in terms of support.

If he dies it will NOT be your fault, any more than if my axw dies, it would be my fault.

Sadly it is some peoples destiny to die of alcoholism.

I sometimes think about the good bye aspect, I feel we will get that opportunity. If not, we will deal with that.

Here's to hoping I can continue to let the positive thoughts outweigh the negative. My mind has made quite a switch on this in the last few months. A few months ago, this news would have me bawling my eyes out or just being a complete and absolute bundle of nerves. Now, I can't say it's bringing me happiness, but I feel like I can handle it.
I think you are coming to acceptance, it's a good thing.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote