View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 10:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
kelsh

Thumbs up How long does the hurt last?

Hi Everyone, for being here for all of us!

Some of the hurts never go away but they are filed away in a place in my memory where they do come up now & then. I have finally learned how to deal with my emotions surrounding issues that cannot be changed and how to handle myself with the things I can change from a negative to a positive.

It is hard sometimes & I will find myself in a very sad mood...not really in a depressed mood. I have gone through some very traumatic times sober & did not pick up a drink so have made great progress that way.

All of our children are adults & have their own careers & life to live. We found out we couldn't save them from their own issues but could be there for them if they wanted to talk & they did. We have six grandchildren & have been a part of their lives as they have grown into teens & adults except for our youngest one who just turned 9.

The most important thing that I learned is that I had to take care of myself & get sober for just myself or it didn't work. I still get help for my depression from my doctor & if needed I see my counselor or the psychiatrist that handles my medications if needed.

I am in a sad place now realizing how old I am getting & that I can't do it all anymore. My husband is doing so much better so we just take it a day at a time.

kelsh