Thread: What about me??
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 06:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Empathetic
Emp

Far out these guys give some great advice. I especially loved the bit about writing a letter but not giving it to him. What an awesome way of helping you to deal. I did something like this when my family abandoned me. I wrote out all my feelings. I wrote several drafts and perfected it, but it never went anywhere except into the bottom of my sock draw. Eventually, when I was ready it got binned.

But that's important too I think. Please ... don't give it to him. Yell, scream, kick something, write an abusive letter, call him a dick head in you mind. But don't actually lay that on him, not yet. Maybe in a few years when everyone has calmed down. But for now, let it out of yourself so that it doesn't poison you, but DON'T stick it inside of him. I say this because, as upset as you are, if you do that, you may only cripple his recovery. Sure, right now you may feel like he's a selfish *****, but if this is his one chance to get better and become a great man, you don't want to be the one to destroy that.

I wish you well. And I respect you on so many levels that I cannot begin to explain it. Because my wife is like you. She had to pick up after me, in my addiction, through all my lies. But you know what ... I can't speak for your partner, I really can't. But if he's anything like me, he appreciates it more than you know, and more than he knows how to express. My wife gave up her life for me and my ****, and I'll dedicate every waking day of the rest of my life to her to make it up to her what I put her through. Your man might not be ready for that now, but when he's sober for a while, he might just realise what a beautiful person he's ignored for so long.

Stay true to yourself and read my signature. It's not about the recognition you get, in the end it is what you were that matters. And from where I'm standing you sound like the best kind of person.

Regards,
Emp